Learning Intention :
To introduce the ideas that :
Designers have to a large extent, designed the world that surrounds us. From the products that we consume, to the cities that we explore, design plays a powerful role in our lives whether we are aware of it or not.
Take a look around you right now. Try to think of a single product that has been designed and ask yourself :
DESIGN IS EVERYTHING
Watch the clip and think about :
TASK 1 : My Design Life
SMALL GROUP WORK - teams of 2-3 people
- In your group, brainstorm a list of products that impact your lives.
- Create a poster that shows addresses at least 3 of the following :
- Research & discuss the history of this product
- Who was this product designed for?
- Identify the problem that this product was designed to solve.
- Describe how this problem was solved, and how it has evolved over time.
- Is there anything that you could do to improve this product?
Anna's Design Life
Research & discuss the history of this product, environment or system
The Yashica flex TLR camera (Twin Lens Reflex Camera) was invented in the 1870's and revolutionised camera technology. Rather than using a single lens that required swapping to focus, the twin lens enabled spontaneous photography with quick wind-on focus. This camera was used by Vivian Maier, prominent New York photographer and is most frequently used for street photography.
Explain how this product, system or environment impacts your life?
This camera impacts my life because I love the nostalgia of using it. I love that it is a simple design, using only basic mechanics to produce excellent quality photographs. I love that I have to wait for my photos to be developed so that the outcome is always a surprise.
Contrast how this product, system or environment might impact the lives of others.